Small School Education, Big School Sports: Top 10 Reasons to Choose NMSS
The New Millennium Secondary School (NMSS) is a charter high school in Gardena committed to preparing students to become life-long learners and dynamic leaders in the competitive 21st century. Here are 10 great reasons to join our free secondary school:
1. Close connections – At New Millennium Secondary School, our Principal works from a shared office without a door and encourages students to visit. This kind of small school environment means every student gets individual attention and increased success because everyone is seen, known and heard.
2. Big District Sports – What’s high school without those Friday night games? New Millennium students play and compete on the Gardena High School teams, giving our NMSS students the chance to be scouted and earn scholarships to college. From Football and Soccer to Cross Country, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis — you name it, playing sports and getting regular exercise helps our students stay healthy and learn in a more relaxed state.
3. Student-led Clubs – Passion, inspiration, and active curiosity from our students is what starts a club at NMSS. Drama, Art, Music, Volunteering (local beach clean up!), and many more clubs are driven by students that want to stay active, give back to the community and get the most out of their years with us.
4. Partnership with Community Colleges – We know how important it is to set our students up with the education needed to compete in this highly technical 21st century world, so we give our students access to learning the most relevant and innovative technology. In partnership with East Los Angeles Community College and other surrounding colleges, we offer community college classes during school hours.
5. Teachers who care – Everyone needs support and someone who really listens. Our teachers are that someone on a regular basis. We hold space for our students throughout the day and in clubs like Girl Talk and Male Mentor.
6. Parent-Student-Staff Compact – It’s all about respect. We treat each other as adults and make agreements based on mutual benefit. We agree to ask for what we need and talk things through when challenges arise.
7. Real World Prep – Our goal here at NMSS is to make sure each student that graduates from our school feels excited to tackle the challenges and responsibilities ahead in early adulthood.
8. Access to Innovative Technology – It is not only a new millennium, it is also a new era where technology is integral to the very success of people around the globe. It is our duty as an institution dedicated to academic excellence, personal growth, and future success to equip our students with the tools to adapt in this ever-changing global economy.
9. We Celebrate Diversity and Welcome All – Our students come from all walks of life, backgrounds and lifestyles. This diversity makes us stronger as a school community. Clubs like our Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) celebrate the connections we make and we welcome all to participate at our inclusive public high school.
10. Excellent Academics – Our teachers and staff are continually improving skills to stay relevant in all subjects and offer excellent courses at NMSS. Data drives our instructional decisions and informs our NMSS teachers how to move forward to establish the best learning practices for each unique 9th – 12th grade learner. Enroll your student at New Millennium today to open new doors of connection and support!
The New Millennium Secondary School (NMSS) is a charter high school in Gardena, CA committed to preparing students to become life-long learners and dynamic leaders in the competitive 21st century. NMSS was created to address the rising global competitive environment for talent. Our students enjoy a small school education with big school sports and accredited community college classes. Enroll your student today!