Not only is NMSS (New Millennium Secondary School) a tongue-twister (you say it ten times fast), but at our tuition-free high school located in Gardena, California, we spell out our goals for our 9th – 12th graders using those tricky -yet meaningful- letters.
NMSS’s vision at our free, small public school is to create empathetic, responsible, and innovative global citizens. By providing an educational environment that empowers everyone in our NMSS community, we encourage critical thinking, digital entrepreneurship, and collaboration. The results speak volumes – our graduates are college ready and clearly developed in both character and intellect.
With this in mind, here are our goals!
N- Nurture academic progress and achievement for college readiness by:
- Pursuing mastery in all content areas.
- Creating a broad range of standards based assignments across academic curricula. We use California’s A-G requirements as part of our graduation requirements.
- Assessing their own work using rubrics and criteria.
- Demonstrating the ability to read, write, listen and speak effectively to diverse audiences.
- Applying problem solving and critical thinking skills in academic settings independently and collaboratively.
- Attending at least one college course.
M- Manage and pursue school and life goals by:
- Setting short and long term personal, academic and professional goals.
- Fostering success in academic and professional environments.
- Practicing organizational and time management skills.
- Participating in career exploration.
S- Support the pillars of character for self and others by:
- Adhering to NMSS rules and expectations.
- Demonstrating academic and personal integrity.
- Promoting mutual respect, appreciation, and acceptance among people of different backgrounds, cultures, abilities, and beliefs.
- Accepting responsibility for one’s own behavior and actions.
- Using appropriate models of communication when expressing ideas, collaborating, and resolving conflict.
- Being responsible and productive citizens of the school, the community, and the world.
S- Sustain the skills necessary to participate in a technologically advanced society by:
- Developing technological literacy and awareness.
- Using a diverse spectrum of reliable resources as research tools.
- Using appropriate technologies as academic, professional, and life-long learning.
- Communicating effectively and appropriately through various technologies.
Joining these letters together creates an engaged, supportive community at our tuition-free public high school. Join our NMSS Warrior family and enroll today!
The New Millennium Secondary School (NMSS) is a charter high school in Gardena, CA committed to preparing students to become life-long learners and dynamic leaders in the competitive 21st century. NMSS was created to address the rising global competitive environment for talent. Our students enjoy a small school education with big school sports and accredited community college classes. Enroll today.